POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : UV-mapping overlapped ? : Re: UV-mapping overlapped ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UV-mapping overlapped ?
From: Rune
Date: 3 Sep 2002 16:09:40
Message: <3d751704@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> Well it's easy, since clothes are by definition
> made of 2D flat material cut and folded at the
> right places...

Hmm. Maybe so...

> The fact is that UV mapping is a surprisingly
> robust and efficient technology. The mesh2 format
> is just an implementation of it that works fine
> and is 100% consistent with industry formats like
> OBJ or 3DS.

I fully agree. I just don't see the reason for the limitation when it
has some disadvantages and no advantages. Specifying 3d vectors would be
optional, as 2d vectors would be perceived as 3d vectors with the third
component being 0.

> Regular procedural pigments works fine with too
> uv mapping.

Yes, but is confined to the x-y plane.

> (quilted normal on a curved object anyone ?)
> but are totally natural to uvmapping.  Just try it :-)

Hey, I'm not talking about a replacement! Regular UV mapping is indeed
very useful. :)

> Btw, what effects do you think that could be done
> only with 3d UV mapping (just curious) ?

Well, here's a bad but illustrative example. Say you have a statue made
of marble. A 3d solid procedural texture is perfect for this purpose
(because in reality marble is solid) and much easier to use than being
forced to use a UV map on the x-y plane (because in reality the marble
pattern isn't wrapped around the object). Then suppose you want the
statue to come to life and move and of course still have the texture
stick to the surface. You need UV mapping for that, but it would be nice
if you could just use 3d coordinates for the UV map so you wouldn't have
to find a way to wrap the x-y plane around the object and make it look
solid.

Actually, make it a wooden figure that comes to life. Isn't it very hard
to "simulate" 3d solid texturing when using 2d UV maps?

Basically, think of it as 3d solid mapping that stick to the surface
when it moves. Most useful for animations of course.

There are also other uses, but this was the first that came to my mind.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated July 12)